Of course, I knew that already as a Columbia Realtor and life-long resident of Columbia. Columbia IS a great place to live, especially for retirees.
America's Best Affordable Places to Retire
U.S. News & World Report worked with a data search company to seek out places with a low cost of living and reasonable housing prices that still offered access to the services and amenities that people should look for in an ideal retirement spot. Each city on the list has high-quality healthcare and elder-care facilities, as well as an abundance of educational and cultural events.
- LOW overall cost of living
- GREAT weather - lots of sunshine and mild winters (snow is rare)Friendly people and Southern hospitality
- Excellent health care facilities
- Lake Murray - one of the BEST lakes in all of the South is popular for boating, fishing and fun
- Easy access to city, regional and state parks and even a National Park close to Columbia
- THREE rivers through Columbia - Congaree, Broad and Saluda for canoeing and kayaking
- Numerous and diverse cultural activities: antebellum architecture in historic districts, excellent musuems, outdoor concerts, University of South Carolina athletic events
- Military retirees enjoy amenities and benefits provided by U.S. Army Fort Jackson and Dorn VA hospital
- Nice places to shop including several malls and special shopping districts including Five Points and Congaree Vista
- Stable economy and work force employers
- There's more, but at least the above list is a start as to why you should choose Columbia SC for your place to call home for retirement!
More Columbia SC information: